Why roof maintenance a good investmentDecember 15, 2017
The most important reason for establishing a roof maintenance program is to protect the capital investment of a new roof. Proper roof maintenance will not only add years to the life of a roof, it will also uncover problems before a roof leak wets insulation, creates mold and damages the interior of the building. Fortunately, the professional roofing contractor and roofing manufacturer are ready to help, with programs specifically designed to make it easier for building owners to keep track of roof maintenance work. The first step in creating a program is to establish roof information files. This data is essential for any roof inspection if a proper and ongoing evaluation of the roof conditions is to be made. The file should contain the following sections:
- Project records, roof drawings, specifications, etc.
- Roof plans showing the location of all penetrations, rooftop equipment, drains, entry doors, etc.
- Approved submittals of roofing supplier’s product data used for the new roof.
- Field reports related to the roof installation
- All correspondence between the GC, roofing sub contractor, architect, engineer, etc., involving the roof installation.
- Warranties from the roof or system manufacturer with contact names.
- Periodic inspection reports filled out chronologically
- Reports and digital photos of repairs
- Record of any construction changes or modifications to the roof surface. Examples would be the installation of a new HVAC unit, exhaust vent or roof walkway system.
- Record of rooftop equipment services—who, when and where.